This week is dedicated to us old guys/gals proving that we are never “too old for youth ministry”
Here is another 60-second hint/help to a more culturally relevant ministry and keep yourself at least aware of popular culture.
What is “in” current and relevant nationally or other places may not necessarily always be what is current in your context, so be aware, but these hints will hopefully keep you current and relevant for YOUR group!
- Subscribe to a couple of Entertainment/Pop Culture Magazines (Billboard, Entertainment Weekly...)
- Sign up for Teen Marketing Email List (Ypulse, Media post…)
- Sign up for a Christian Youth/Teen Culture Email List. (CPYU, Youth Culture Report…)
- Watch a couple of Awards Shows a year (MTV Music/Movie, Nickelodeon Kid’s Choice, Radio Disney (tween, pre-teen),)
- Watch a couple of episodes of Popular TV Shows occasionally. (Top Netflix Shows, Neilsen Ratings...)
- Have a Student Leadership team, allow them to influence and have ownership of the ministry. (Students know what their friends like, need to hear, and like to do now, Hint: It is probably not what your youth group did back in the day.
- Go to School Lunches (you will find out A LOT, you will find out what is relevant to your group, area, and culture. What is hot in California or New York may not be cool in your small town in the midwest)
- Take students out after-school (or whenever), ask questions, don’t talk but rather listen!
- Don’t Try to be Culturally Relevant by Acting, Dressing, Talking, or Pretending to be something you are NOT! (If you are a 40-year-old dude/girl, don’t be “muffin topping” it in skinny jeans…NO!)
- If you don’t know what the word means, don’t use it! If you want to find out what it means, PLEASE use “Urban Dictionary”(Trying too hard to be hip and relevant t is not worth getting fired over!)