Ten Youth Ministry Mistakes… People always ask me what I would tell my younger self, starting out in youth ministry. What are the mistakes that you made that you wish someone would have told you about during your first year in youth ministry? The other question I get is what I observe as the big mistakes young youth leaders are making.
Here are ten of my top ones…
10. Only Talking to Students on Sunday Mornings.
9. Only Using College Age & Single Young Adults As Leaders.
8. Preparing Your Lesson The Day Before.
7. Trying to Dress, Act, and Talk Like the Students.
6. Showing Up Late to or Forgetting Meetings.
5. Not Keeping Senior Leadership Informed and “In the Loop” about Your Ministry
4. Not Keeping Parents Informed and “In the Loop” about Your Ministry
3. Not Having Clear Expectations and Rules for Students
2. Not Having Your Spouse “On Board” with What and How You Do Ministry.
1. Never Taking A Day Off.